Our environment produces elements essential to human activity and to our very survival, from food and shelter to medicines’ active ingredients. Our dependence on our environment to thrive, if not survive, is therefore not to be doubted. The implicit contribution of our environment in our economies are also far-reaching: its role can be seen as “service” provided free of charge by nature – nature truly “works” for us. It is therefore our responsibility to protect our environment.
Protecting the environment is a major step towards protecting the wellbeing of people and all living creatures. If not properly cared for, our environment can have adverse effect on both society and businesses that depend on them. These adverse effects include, climate change, depletion of natural resources, CO2 emission, biodiversity loss etc. Climate change is severely compounding the destruction of ecosystems all around the world; pressures related to drought, ocean acidification, more intense natural catastrophes, etc. are also on the increase.
As we celebrate World Environment Day, we must all take conscious steps to reduce activities that impacts the environment negatively and protect the world we live in.
Below are simple things you can do to protect our environment:
- Reduce, reuse, and recycle: Cut down on what you throw away. Follow the three “R’s” to conserve natural resources and landfill space.
- Volunteer: Volunteer for cleanups in your community.
- Educate: When you further your own education, you can help others understand the importance and value of our natural resources.
- Conserve water: The less water you use, the less runoff and wastewater that eventually end up in the ocean. There are loads of ways to save on water usage. When you brush your teeth, only turn the water on when you need to rinse.
- Shop wisely: Buy less plastic and bring a reusable shopping bag.
- Use long-lasting light bulbs: Energy efficient light bulbs reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Also flip the light switch off when not in use.
- Plant a tree: Trees provide food and oxygen. They help save energy, clean the air, and help combat climate change.
- Reduce litter: Make a conscious effort to throw all waste in a trash can rather than litter the streets. Also, on your next walk with your kids, you can set a great example for them. Take along a refuse bag and pick up any litter that you see along your walk.
AXA has made a commitment to protect the environment through the following:
- Reduce our energy consumption through a focus on energy efficiency solutions that optimize the usage in our buildings.
- Reduce our office paper consumption and minimize the use of paper for our marketing and distribution activities whenever allowed by local requirements and regulators.
- Reduce our water consumption in all AXA Mansard’s facilities.
- Reduce the emissions derived from our business travel by minimizing the number of long-distance trips of our employees, stimulating the use of alternative means of communication.
- Seek suppliers that support us in this journey through their solutions and business practices following the guidelines set in our Responsible Procurement Strategy.
It’s our collective responsibility to manage our impact on the environment by reducing resource use and promoting climate change awareness throughout the world.
AXA Mansard provides you with great financial solutions including protection, asset management and health insurance.